Monday, December 22, 2008

Module 2 - Email

I'm finally back into the swing of things after my computer disaster, Module 2 was quite an interesting insight into emails. Whilst I use email regularly for work and personally, I was surprised at how little I really knew about the intricacies of it all - here are some of my findings:

A user's email message provides the allows the recipient to collect the following information

- The name of the sender
- The sender's domain
- The time and date the email was sent
- The subject of the email
- Whether any attachments are included
- The context of the message
- Whether other recipients have been copied in on the email.

The CC function allows an email to be distributed to additional recipients who may find the information contained within the context of the message of use.
The BCC function allows the sender of an email to send the message to another recipient without any other potential recipients knowing about it.
The reply all function is best used to ensure that all recipients have receive a return response to an email.

The most common way of sending an attachment to an email to ensure it is able to be read is to send it as a plain text document(ASC11) or in the form of a rich text file(RTF).

I personally have very minimal rules set up on my email account, with only a return receipt rule set up as well as an Anti Spam rule set to Automatically send any spam to its own folder.

As for folder I have my email set for all bar spam email to come directly to my inbox. I then distribute them manually to the following folders I have set up

- Personal( main inbox)
- Business
- Associations I am members of
- University/Studies
- Holiday

Quite an intersting module, I must say.

No comments: